Drew's appointment went well today with his allergist/immunologist. He had blood drawn to assess his IgE and IgA levels and we also are re-checking all his known food allergies- then added a few more. He has had two "incidents" in the past 2 weeks with a reaction to a food, so we shall see. I am hoping for good news. We do not get the results for 2 weeks. Aric and I HEART Drew's MD. He is so detailed, respectful and explains things in great detail. You can read about him here. He was one of the 2009 top doctors. Oddly, his wife, whom I have worked closed with is also a top doc. She is a gerontologist.
Here is the kicker...when we went to the lab- he didn't cry one bit! Not a whimper. He was so intrigued by what they were doing. He really likes being examined (and apparently poked). The only part of any MD appointment he doesn't like is getting his weight. I suppose he gets that from me. Except I typically do not run out of the room crying, but sometimes feel like it:)
We are waiting to get the flu shot (just the standard one-not H1N1) for a couple weeks as it peeks 6 weeks post. We think we'll go ahead with it, even if he is still allergic to eggs. Because he doesn't seem to have issues with eggs in baked goods, he thinks he only has a 1/10,000 chance of having an anaphylatic reaction. (reminds me of the movie 'dumb and dumber' when the chick tells Jim Carey/Lloyd that she wouldn't go out with him in a million years- then he says "so there IS a chance?" It is sort of a game-not knowing when flu season will peek. His MD help me feel a bit more at ease regarding his ability to fight the flu like any other kiddo.
No comments:
Post a Comment