Wednesday, September 5, 2012

{Insert giant time gap here}

So....I pretty much skipped a month of my summer. Next thing I know...its September! On July 27th I woke up in excruciating pain. I was vomiting (gross), pale ( I am talking crayon white), sweating like a sprinkler and in PAIN. We ended up calling an ambulance. In retrospect, it was a perfect choice. Not just because the $1800 ambulance bill that turn into $137 after I inspected the EOB, but I am almost 100% certain Aric would not have been able to bring me there in one piece. Kate helped me get my flip flops on...thank GOD drew slept through this. They gave me oxygen on the way and were trying to stuff Dilaudid in my face. I was certain my appendix burst.
After I got to the ER, I had a CT scan and found out that I had multiple abscesses in my pelvis and abdomen. (Quote from the infectious disease MD--"I have never seen an abdomen like this before...so infected". Thanks chica! you are so reassuring!  I had to be admitted...fast forward 2 weeks, 2 surgeries, 4 CT scans, 3 x rays, pneumonia, small bowel obstruction, 104 fevers for a WEEK, removal of a few non-essential organs, JP tube placement and a drain tube placement in a place that should NEVER have a drain tube (clue: they hit my sciatic nerve)---  I was able to get home.  Week one home I went daily BACK to the hell hole we call the hospital for IV antibiotics. I refused a PICC line and had a peripheral line instead & went home with the drain and the JP. They only had to change my peripheral three times, and when I went to the cancer center...it was like a massage vs. a IV start. hey they know how to poke veins.

Going home was a humbling experience. Having Aric drain my tubes, measure output, track it. Even the fact that he touched the tubing was beyond me. I repulsed myself.   This experience forced me to re-look at things, or maybe just slow down. I find myself playing dollies more, playing legos...less work. (sorry peeps--- I am still committed, but trying to exercise our Christian culture). Work was nothing but supportive. Almost over supportive--they prayed daily for my health. It was felt.  It was great. I went back last week after being off 4 weeks. I was apprehensive at first...do they still need me? Can I do this? Of course I can...I am right back at it..and love it.

They still do not know what caused all of this. I have my theory. The abcesses were sterile. I am 100% certain this has been brewing for quite some time. I feel better now then I have in MONTHS. Besides my low activity tolerance, I finally have no pain....something I have been tolerating for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment