Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I am in love!

We met with the plastic surgeon today. She is everything the dermatologist is not. She is the best ever. Calm, direct, informative, personable...her nurse actually took crabby Kate out of the room so the dr could talk to me and focus on my questions. Love her!
The plan: if her hemangioma continues to shrink, we will do a surgical excision in 6 months. I guess its less likely she will have complications once it is softer and less vascular. Also- she will be older and have less chances of complications from the anesthesia. Makes sense. If it continues to bleed or ulcerate, she will consider laser. However, laser will not really make a difference for long term- it may make it look better in the short term, but it could kill the hair follicles she still has (on the white part). When she excises it, she removes the red part, removes the vessels and then seams it up tight (the scalp tuck). She thinks she could make it so she doesn't have a bald spot. Coolio.
I guess they normally do not surgically remove them, unless its impeding function (like on the eye) or on the head/scalp area as it is prone to injury.
I am excited. At this point, I know it doesn't effect Lil Kates self esteem or anything, but I was very concerned about the effects of it once she gets to school age. I think we will have it resolved by then. Yippee! I think my biggest fear now is just the risk of bleeding. I am terrified of her bumping it again.

Better start saving my pennies....doubt this would be covered by insurance.

2 comments:

  1. She sounds great!! So happy for Kate! Things seems to work out don't they?!

    ReplyDelete