Monday, October 5, 2009

Baby Kate Isabelle




I suppose I should change the title of our blog to the 'Littlest Gids'? I guess that will be a project I will work on while on leave.
Little Kate was born on September 30th at 9:40 a.m (3 weeks early). She was 7 pounds 5 oz at birth, and 6 pounds 14 oz the day we were discharged. She is PUNY! (yes Ellie...PUNY!) The day before I had called the MD twice wanting to discuss moving the c-section date sooner. I was certain I wouldn't make it to October 12th. She ignored my psychotic pleas for a return phone call. I guess I just really wanted to avoid an emergency C. Well, Kate showed the MD that her mamma was right...my water broke at 6 a.m on the 30th. (it was like a out of body peeing experience, I knew it was happening, but could not make it stop) G & G came over to watch Drew and we arrived at the hospital by 7 a.m. I was in surgery by 9.
It was quite a different experience then what I had with Drew. I am going to go so far to say, parts of the C were actually relaxing. I was drugged. But still. I only was nauseated for a small bit at the beginning and only was shaking at the end when I could start to move my toes and they were still sewing me up! They had some grovy 70's music playing in the background. I was chill. Kate cried right away and they cleaned her up and brought her right to me. My family was able to give her her first bath, which was nice. We missed a lot of that stuff with Drew as he had meconium and I had a infection as well. I actually didn't see him until the next day! :(
I'd say the pain is A LOT worse this time, I think either I forgot about the pain last time OR it is true that you cramp more with the second. Either way, I am still taking my drugs (with Drew I went home with only Ibuprofen). AND, I am still looking 5 months pregnant. Sadness. Last time I just shrunk right back and lost 20# by the time I got home...oh well. I guess I have some goals to work on.

Drew is adjusting. I think by next week he won't even remember life without Kate. He has had a couple meltdowns, but nothing out of the ordinary. He really wants to share with his sister, he gives her sippies of juice, trucks, books...we have to watch him like a hawk when he is around her. When we first brought her in the house, he could hardly wait for me to unbuckle her, then he preceded to try to lift her up out of the seat by her head/neck. Lovely. I immediately jumped to the floor to guide him. After getting on the floor, I realized I could not get back up and had to crawl to the chair to get up all the while Drew was trying to climb on my back. Welcome home.



Drew giving Kate kisses.


No comments:

Post a Comment