We had our follow up appointment today with the specialist. His diagnosis is exactly what I suspected (darn google). Drew has Primary Immunodeficiency. You can learn more about it by clicking
here &
here. From my understanding he has Selective IgA deficiency. Drew has the total absence of IgA. We will go back to the specialist every 3 months to check how things are going. From my understanding, he will have this all his life, it just may change as he ages. I am not going to pretend I know everything about this...I have some research to do. I guess at this point we will need to be extra diligent about keeping him healthy. I inquired about natural or homeopathic remedies, however, the specialist felt that is inappropriate route. Obviously we ensure he has all his vitamins he needs through fruits and vegetables daily. Most people try to avoid antibiotics as these 'super bugs' have surfaced, but with Drew we will treat every infection aggressively. This really explains all his weird infections, food allergies and skin problems.
Our poor little baby, it breaks our hearts. We keep thinking that this could be so much worse. We can handle it...
Here is little bear jingling his bells by the Christmas tree. I tried to get a pic of him standing by the tree, but by the time I would set him down and get into a position to take the pic, he would run off.

He has this train that is his favorite of the week. He seems to pick a toy and play with it for days straight until he "masters" it, then he moves on. He sticks his head inside the train as far as he can, he is trying to figure out where the balls come from. The balls pop out, then goes down a hole and back out again. He looks so cute when he is so inquisitive. Maybe we have a future engineer on our hands?
Hey, I'm so sorry to hear about Drew's diagnosis. On the up side, my best friend Jana's daughter has this too and she's a thriving 25 year old today. She even fought in Iraq for over a year. Not that I want Drew to ever have to do that, but I'm just trying to encourage you. Love you muchly, Kerry
ReplyDelete