Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I just can't believe it's gone. I keep saying that over and over. It's gone. We've always know her with her bump. Sigh*. I actually will kind of miss the little "hot bump" as we called it. I know it never made any impact on Kate, she had no clue it was there. But she would have as she got older, and that is why we made this decision.
Kate was a trooper. The first few moments at the hospital she was crying hysterically- we had just woken her up from her nap. After that she was great, flirting with the anesthesiologist and everyone else in blue scrubs.
The surgery took about 1 1/2 hours. Her doctor, who is going to get a giant thank you letter from Kate, explained the procedure. She said there were about 10,000 veins in the hemangioma. They basically cauterize them all. The incision is supposed to be 3 times the length of the bump, but because that would make the scar go down to her eyebrow, she "tailored" the incision and made it jig/jag in the middle to shorten it up. It barely comes down her forehead. I tried to count the stitches, there are probably 20. They are tiny tiny and clear and will absorb- so no stitch removal. No band-aide, as Drew had anticipated. There really isn't a good way to adhere a band-aide on her head. Her plastic surgeon also only cut just a tiny bit of hair, which made me more teary then anything (her first haircut...and I missed it!) We are very pleased with the results. Little miss Kate is very pleased with her meds (she is getting Tylenol with Codine). Drew is hasn't seen her yet- he will be amazed as well (he had a slumber party with Grandma and Grandpa last night)
Some before pictures we took on bump eve


Crying hysterically

Getting over it...

In the play area meeting the team

"Wait- they are taking me where??"

Waking up



We are outta here!

No comments:

Post a Comment