Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Drew Retton and Kate Strug~ Landing on our Feet

 Girlfriend has about 8,002 leotards she received from another little girl. So if your girlfriend needs a leotard, Kate's closet is open for raiding.


He was a bit of a show off. I think we are done with Gymnastics at this level for him. If he is interested, we will do "real" gymnastics next winter.
I know the impact that Mary Lou Retton had on me, and it was life-changing. You never know which child you are going to reach by just showing up and saying hello.
~ Kerri Strug


  'Oh my goodness, everybody's watching me, oh my goodness, all these people are counting on me
~ Kerri Strug
 Why Kerri and Kate are so much alike:
Kerri's favorite food is Raspberries, Kate's too!.
Kerri began gymnastics in 1982, Kate began gymnastics in 2012. Coincidence?
Kerri won the Olympic Spirit Award for her performance in the team competition in the 1996 Olympic Games. Kate is Spirited.
Kerri was thrilled when she was asked to do a guest appearance on Beverly Hills 90210 because it was one of her favorite TV shows! Kate's mom went to Wayzata High School, the SAME high school as Brandon and Brenda.

  It seemed like a bad dream, and walking back, I knew something was wrong. But I think it would have been awful to just walk away and for the rest of my life, wonder if I had done it, would I have made it? Would we have won the gold? Would we have not? I was just proud that I had done what I knew I was capable of, because for so long, everyone said, "Kerri Strug has the talent and works so hard, but she always blows it when it counts." It was kind of ironic that in the end, my last competition in the Olympics, when everything was on me, that I was finally able to pull it out and do well, and do what I had done in the gym over and over and over again.



The awards/rewards at the end!


 She was stunned.



On to the next sport. Tball!

 Groupie.








Drew loved loved loved his Tball season. The whole 4 games (and I think 3 practices). But I really think he will love love love soccer more.  His team made big improvements from day one to the last day. There was much less squatting on the field & throwing sand and more hitting the ball and tackling each other to catch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment