Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The allergist/immunologist called today with results. I can't help but laugh out loud. I think its a defense mechanism. kate has an IgE level of 38, the norm is 0-6. Awesome. Here is a quote "she's a highly allergenic kid". Me: acting startled "oh really?" Duh. She apparently is NOT allergic to milk protein or wheat. Oh who knows. Maybe we are all just delusional and think her skin looks better on the non-milk protein diet. The thing with allergies is they change, and just because someone has a high IgE, doesn't mean they are going to have a severe reaction, it just means they have a response. We didn't test her IgA- maybe he did- I guess we'll find out. I don't think she has an IgA deficiency like Drew- she has been sick, but not like him. She's had a couple ear infections, RSV, rotovirus...and I think that's it...not nearly as bad as Drew. The things she has had a pretty typical for kids.
Then there is Drew...his IgE is 138. Norm is 0-12. Seriously kid? He has still has a class one allergy to egg yolks. I think we MAY be able to start egg in baked goods...not sure yet...but maybe. We have a follow up in 3 weeks - so I will drill him then. He has a class 2 to sesame and garlic- so that means still strict avoidance. The Dr. recommends to avoid all nut products. I am not that stupid. I can't recall his levels last time, but I think they went down? I will ask. Basically a class one is they may or may not be allergic, so eat at your own risk. Class two through six goes in order of severeness- so six is severe reaction. Class 2 is still strict avoidance. We follow that theory of food allergies- strictly avoid. Seems to work well for us. Some think you should train your immune system to tolerate the food, but when you do that, you continue to build up the response to them. Here is the kicker- he is not allergic to dogs, cats, dust, pollen, blah blah blah. What? His nose has been stuffed for a month. (esp since we had to stop the zyrtex for 5 days). Weird. Glad I'm not a allergist.

What else is new? OHFC walked into my work today. That is a comparison to if you grew weed in your basement and the DEA walked in, or perhaps you ran a ponzi scam and the FBI busted down your door- kinda like that. Everyone sort of panics, but acts cool, inside everyone is freaking out, hoping it goes smooth. Usually those investigations lead to nothing, they are just doing their job, but its stressful nonetheless.
Oh, what else is new?? Aric's sister is getting MARRIED! Super excited for that. Yay! We will be heading out to NE over the 4th of July. Aric is heading out end of May for a wedding, then there is another one end of summer we need to figure out. Seems getting married is in!

No comments:

Post a Comment